IIM Bangalore EPGP (MBA)
Rankings | Class Profile | Employment Report | Sample Essays | Interview Questions
The full time Executive Post Graduate Programme in Management (EPGP) is an intensive one-year residential programme created specifically for professionals with remarkable track records and 5 to 12 years of work experience in a wide range of industries. The EPGP provides students with the same solid foundation in key management concepts and disciplines as a two-year MBA, with similar rigor, range of electives, and grading criteria. A key advantage of the EPGP is that the course work builds on the diverse and extensive work experience of the students.
The program also offers an International Immersion module in Term four, which is designed to give students an opportunity to broaden learning and deepen knowledge about an increasingly globalized economic environment. Structured around a visit to an emerging economy such as China, Russia, Brazil and South Africa or a developed one in the European or in the Asian region like Singapore or South Korea, the module provides insights into the country’s economic, social, political and cultural life. For more details Click Here….
|Average GMAT Score
|Average Work Experience (yrs.)
|Average Age (yrs.)
|% placed within 3 months
IIM Bangalore EPGP MBA Application Tips
Statement of Purpose Tips
Brief: A Statement of Purpose (SOP) that enables the applicant to highlight his/her future goals and achievements. Word limit: 500 words
Quick SOP Tips – To write Statement of purposes for schools like IIM Bangalore, a very simple structure to follow is
- Explain your current position and work experience → 2. State your short and long term goals → 3. Skillsets you have acquired throughout your career so far → 4. Explain what you currently lack to attain your short and long term goal → 5. Show how an MBA from school like IIM B can help you bridge the gap in your skills to achieve your short term goal.
Detailed SOP writing Tips – The best and an easy approach to write an IIM Bangalore SOP is to break it into two parts:
- First Half – explain “what are your goals and why you need an MBA”
- Second Half – establish ”Why or how IIM Bangalore’ EPGP program is the perfect fit for you?”
First Half – Goals and why MBA?
Start with a strong introductory paragraph on who you are and what are your desired goals from an MBA.
Eg: “I am an engineer with four years of experience in the IT sector leading projects for clients across multiple countries. In the short term i want to transition from a software developer role to a product manager role”
For the main body, start on a strong note, show what skills you already have. B-schools in general prefer to see strong academic track record, progress in professional career, client management exposure, leadership and international experiences. Highlight some of your key achievements with numbers or awards that you may have received. Show your outstanding performance via promotions, opportunities to lead or international deputation.
After establishing the strengths of your profile, move on to show how the limitations of your current role and your skill gaps are hindering your future career progress or desired transitions. Establish the need for upskilling yourself which can only be done via an MBA at this stage of your career. Talk about how an MBA can enhance your business acumen, leadership skills, soft skills for communication and presentation or provide you the network to grow your career or business.
This sets the context for your “Why MBA” argument. The first half of the SOP explains what you already have and what you lack to grow in your career. Lastly how an MBA can unlock opportunities for you to grow.
Second Half – Why IIM B EPGP?
To answer the – “why IIM B” part of the SOP, build your argument on 3-4 points which helps you fulfill the gaps in your skill set and achieve your goals. Reasons to choose IIM Bangalore EPGP should align with your reason to do an MBA as mentioned in the first half of the essay.
Ensure your reasons portray a holistic approach to how you intend to gain/upskill from the EPGP program. An easy way to structure can be to break it down across three buckets –
- Inside the class – what excites you the most about IIM B’s EPGP program in regards to the academic curriculum? Is it a particular specialization? Range of Electives? Quality of Professor? Feel free to name drop a few.
- Outside the class – outside of the academics, how do you plan to make the most of the opportunities available at IIM Bangalore? Clubs? Networking event? International exchanges? Leadership seminar? Speak with Alum, current students and find specifics which perfectly aligns with your needs to achieve your goals in a particular industry or function.
- Outside of campus – show how the overall school brand, alumni network which you would carry and be a part of long after your campus stint can help you build a successful career in the long term.
Summarize your entire SOP in 3-4 lines and confidently portray how you believe IIM Bangalore’s EPGP program is the perfect next step or logical step for you to achieve your career goals and how you would be a great fit and valuable addition to the class if selected.