IIM Calcutta MBA
Rankings | Class Profile | Employment Report | Sample Essays | Interview Questions
MBA for Executives Programme is IIM Calcutta’s One Year Full-Time Residential Programme meant for Executives with more than five years of professional experience. It provides mid-career professionals with the ideal platform to augment their existing skillsets as they endeavour to armour themselves for senior and top management roles in the industry.
The Class comprises a good mix of youth and experience. Under the able guidance of the country’s leading management faculty, a passion for continuous learning synergizes with experiences from diverse backgrounds to create an enriching learning environment.
Learning beyond the classroom is an equally important facet. While case discussions enrich the practical experience of unravelling real-life business puzzles, informal discussions on varied topics from thoughtfully chosen adjunct readings broaden individual perspectives. The immersion programme helps future business leaders hone their skills while tackling real-world challenges. Individuals also make time to participate in business case competitions, branding exercises and self-interest career advancement clubs. For More Details Click Here…
|Class Profile Summary
|Average GMAT Score
|Average Work Experience (yrs.)
|Average Age (yrs.)
|% placed within 3 months
|Tuition Fees Summary
IIM C MBA Class Profile 2022 (Click Here)
IIM C MBA Application Tips
Statement of Purpose: This should include an objective and clear statement on why you want to join the PGPEX program? what qualities, experience and achievements do you have to justify your admission; what types of jobs and at what level do you expect after successful completion of PGPEX?
Quick SOP Tips – To write Statement of purposes for schools like IIM Calcutta, a very simple structure to follow is
- Explain your current position and work experience → 2. State your short and long term goals → 3. Skillsets you have acquired throughout your career so far → 4. Explain what you currently lack to attain your short and long term goal → 5. Show how an MBA from school like IIM C can help you bridge the gap in your skills to achieve your short term goal.
Detailed SOP writing Tips – The best and an easy approach to write an IIM Calcutta SOP is to break it into two parts:
- First Half – explain “what are your goals and why you need an MBA”
- Second Half – establish ”Why or how IIM Calcutta PGPEX program is the perfect fit for you?”
First Half – Goals and why MBA?
Start with a strong introductory paragraph on who you are and what are your desired goals from an MBA.
Eg: “I am an engineer with four years of experience in the IT sector leading projects for clients across multiple countries. In the short term i want to transition from a software developer role to a product manager role”
For the main body, start on a strong note, show what skills you already have. B-schools in general prefer to see strong academic track record, progress in professional career, client management exposure, leadership and international experiences. Highlight some of your key achievements with numbers or awards that you may have received. Show your outstanding performance via promotions, opportunities to lead or international deputation.
After establishing the strengths of your profile, move on to show how the limitations of your current role and your skill gaps are hindering your future career progress or desired transitions. Establish the need for upskilling yourself which can only be done via an MBA at this stage of your career. Talk about how an MBA can enhance your business acumen, leadership skills, soft skills for communication and presentation or provide you the network to grow your career or business.
This sets the context for your “Why MBA” argument. The first half of the SOP explains what you already have and what you lack to grow in your career. Lastly how an MBA can unlock opportunities for you to grow.
Second Half – Why IIM C PGPEX?
To answer the – “why IIM C” part of the SOP, build your argument on 3-4 points which helps you fulfill the gaps in your skill set and achieve your goals. Reasons to choose IIM Calcutta PGPEX should align with your reason to do an MBA as mentioned in the first half of the essay.
Ensure your reasons portray a holistic approach to how you intend to gain/upskill from the PGPEX program. An easy way to structure can be to break it down across three buckets –
- Inside the class – what excites you the most about IIM C’s PGPEX program in regards to the academic curriculum? Is it a particular specialization? Range of Electives? Quality of Professor? Feel free to name drop a few.
- Outside the class – outside of the academics, how do you plan to make the most of the opportunities available at IIM Calcutta? Clubs? Networking event? International exchanges? Leadership seminar? Speak with Alum, current students and find specifics which perfectly aligns with your needs to achieve your goals in a particular industry or function.
- Outside of campus – show how the overall school brand, alumni network which you would carry and be a part of long after your campus stint can help you build a successful career in the long term.
Summarize your entire SOP in 3-4 lines and confidently portray how you believe IIM Calcutta’s PGPEX program is the perfect next step or logical step for you to achieve your career goals and how you would be a great fit and valuable addition to the class if selected.