Rankings | Class Profile | Employment Report | Sample Essays | Interview Questions
Imperial College Business School is a top international business school consistently towards the top of most respected rankings. Its London location places it squarely at a major Western economic epicenter. True to the international tradition of London and the UK only 22% of the most recent Full-Time MBA class call the UK home.
Students completing the Full-Time MBA can expect a truly global experience. From faculty to Full-Time MBA students to global initiatives, it’s hard to imagine a school with much more international prowess. The most recent class to be admitted consisted of 56 students from 23 different countries. The Business School’s prestigious alumni network spans 140 countries. Only 10% of the faculty is from the UK and the school boasts a very active Global Initiatives program.
In the most recently admitted class, 20% of the students came from a Banking/Finance background, the highest proportion of any sector. Other industries that students came from included engineering (16%), IT/Tech/Telecoms (14%) and Consulting/Professional Services (13%). The most recent class was made up of an impressive 43% female students. The majority of students (41%) came from the Asia/Pacific region. For more details Click Here…
|Class Profile Summary
|Average GMAT Score
|Average Work Experience (yrs.)
|Average Age (yrs.)
|28 years (24-35)
|% placed within 3 months
|Tuition Fees Summary
Imperial MBA Class Profile 2022 (Click Here)
Imperial MBA Application Tips
Essay 1. Statement of Purpose (500 Words)
Quick essay Tips – To write career essays for Imperial MBA program, a very simple structure to follow is
- Explain your current position and work experience → 2. State your short and long term goals → 3. Skillsets you have acquired throughout your career so far → 4. Explain what you currently lack to attain your short and long term goal → 5. Show how an MBA from school like Imperial can help you bridge the gap in your skills to achieve your short term goal.
Detailed Essay writing Tips – The best and an easy approach to write this Imperial application essay is to break it into two parts:
- First Half – explain “what are your goals and why you need an MBA”
- Second Half – establish ”Why or how the Imperial MBA program is the perfect fit for you?”
First Half – Goals and why MBA?
Start with a strong introductory paragraph on who you are and what are your desired goals from an MBA.
Eg: “I am an engineer with four years of experience in the IT sector leading projects for clients across multiple countries. In the short term i want to transition from a software developer role to a product manager role”
For the main body, start on a strong note, show what skills you already have. B-schools in general prefer to see strong academic track record, progress in professional career, client management exposure, leadership and international experiences. Highlight some of your key achievements with numbers or awards that you may have received. Show your outstanding performance via the promotions or opportunities to lead or international deputation.
After establishing the strengths of your profile, move on to show how the limitation of your current role and skills are hindering your future career progress or desired transitions. Establish the need for upskilling yourself which can only be done via an MBA at this stage of your career. Talk about how an MBA can enhance your business acumen, leadership skills, soft skills for communication and presentation or provide you the network to grow your career or business.
This sets the context for your “Why MBA” argument. The first half of the essay explains what you already have and what you lack to grow in your career. Lastly how an MBA can unlock opportunities for you to grow.
Second Half – Why Imperial MBA?
To answer the – “why Imperial MBA” part of the essay, build your argument on 3-4 points which helps you fulfill the gaps in your skill set and achieve your goals. Reasons to choose the Imperial MBA program should align with your reason to do an MBA as mentioned in the first half of the essay.
Ensure your reasons portray a holistic approach to how you intend to gain/upskill from the MBA program. An easy way to structure can be to break it down across three buckets –
- Inside the class – what excites you the most about the Imperial MBA program in regards to the academic curriculum? Is it a particular specialization? Range of Electives? Quality of Professor? Feel free to name drop a few.
- Outside the class – outside of the academics, how do you plan to make the most of the opportunities available at Imperial? Clubs? Networking event? International exchanges? Leadership seminar? Speak with Alum, current students and find specifics which perfectly aligns with your needs to achieve your goals in a particular industry or function.
- Outside of campus – show how the overall school brand, alumni network which you would carry and be a part of long after your campus stint can help you build a successful career in the long term.
Summarize your entire essay in 3-4 lines and confidently portray how you believe the Imperial MBA program is the perfect next step or logical step for you to achieve your career goals and how you would be a great fit and valuable addition to the class if selected.
For Imperial MBA essay samples, you can also read some of the great essays written by our clients here on the sample essays page.
Essay 2. What gaps in your skillset will you need to develop to prepare for this career? (800 characters)
Give a brief description of your professional experience, what skills you have learnt and obtained through your professional work experience. To reach your short term and long term goals show how MBA is a necessary step.Talk about how an MBA can enhance your business acumen, leadership skills, soft skills for communication and presentation or provide you the network to grow your career or business. More specifically, you can mention a few courses from Imperial or some student activities that are in line with your goals.