Schulich MBA, Canada
Rankings | Class Profile | Employment Report | Sample Essays | Interview Questions
Options define the Schulich School of Business MBA experience. Students can switch between the part-time and full-time programs and customize their experience with 18 areas of specialization, three campuses (two in Toronto and one in India), and multiple start dates and scheduling. This flexibility allows students to complete their MBA in either 16- or 20-months full time. The part-time option of the MBA program can take up to 40 months to complete. Students with a business background from select Canadian business schools may also qualify for the eight-month Accelerated MBA track.
Students can choose up to 2 of Schulich’s 17 specialization areas to focus their degree on. Students may elect to cluster their electives around one or two areas of specialization to build functional or industry-specific expertise. In addition to the customization in the program, students will also be engaged in an eight-month-long, real-world experiential learning project called the “Strategy Field Study”. In this exciting consulting project spanning two terms, teams conduct a strategic assessment of an organization and its environment and present recommendations to senior management.
Ranked the #1 business school in Canada by Forbes, The Economist, and CNN Expansion. QS Top MBA ranks Schulich Top 25 in the World for careers in Finance, Marketing & Operations Management in their MBA Careers by Specialization Ranking. For more details Click here…
|Average GMAT Score
|Average Work Experience (yrs.)
|Average Age (yrs.)
|30 years (22-36)
|% placed within 3 months
Schulich MBA Class Profile 2022 (Download Here)
Schulich MBA Application Tips
Schulich Essay 1: How will the Schulich MBA degree help you achieve your short and long-term career goals? (please limit your answer to 350 words)
Quick Essay Tips – To write career essays for Schulich MBA program, a very simple structure to follow is
- Explain your current position and work experience → 2. State your short and long term goals → 3. Skillsets you have acquired throughout your career so far → 4. Explain what you currently lack to attain your short and long-term goal → 5. Show how an MBA from a school like Ivey can help you bridge the gap in your skills to achieve your short-term goal.
Detailed Essay Writing Tips – The best and an easy approach to write this Schulich application essay is to break it into two parts:
- First Half – explain “what are your goals and why you need an MBA”
- Second Half – establish ”Why or how Schulich MBA program is the perfect fit for you?”
First Half – Goals and why MBA?
Start with a strong introductory paragraph on who you are and what are your desired goals from an MBA.
Eg: “I am an engineer with four years of experience in the IT sector leading projects for clients across multiple countries. In the short term I want to transition from a software developer role to a product manager role”
For the main body, start on a strong note, show what skills you already have. B-schools in general prefer to see a strong academic track record, progress in the professional career, client management exposure, leadership, and international experiences. Highlight some of your key achievements with numbers or awards that you may have received. Show your outstanding performance via the promotions or opportunities to lead or international deputation.
After establishing the strengths of your profile, move on to show how the limitation of your current role and skills are hindering your future career progress or desired transitions. Establish the need for upskilling yourself which can only be done via an MBA at this stage of your career. Talk about how an MBA can enhance your business acumen, leadership skills, soft skills for communication and presentation or provide you the network to grow your career or business.
This sets the context for your “Why MBA” argument. The first half of the essay explains what you already have and what you lack to grow in your career. Lastly how an MBA can unlock opportunities for you to grow.
Second Half – Why Schulich MBA Program?
To answer the – “why Schulich” part of the essay, build your argument on 3-4 points which helps you fulfill the gaps in your skillset and achieve your goals. Reasons to choose the Schulich MBA Program should align with your reason to do an MBA as mentioned in the first half of the essay.
Ensure your reasons portray a holistic approach to how you intend to gain/upskill from the MBA program. An easy way to structure can be to break it down across three buckets –
- Inside the class – what excites you the most about the Schulich MBA program in regards to the academic curriculum? Is it a particular specialization? Range of Electives? Quality of Professor? Feel free to name-drop a few.
- Outside the class – outside of the academics, how do you plan to make the most of the opportunities available at Schulich? Clubs? Networking event? International exchanges? Leadership seminar? Speak with Alum, current students, and find specifics that perfectly aligns with your needs to achieve your goals in a particular industry or function.
- Outside of campus – show how the overall school brand, alumni network which you would carry and be a part of long after your campus stint can help you build a successful career in the long term.
Summarize your entire essay in 3-4 lines and confidently portray how you believe the Schulich MBA program is the perfect next step or logical step for you to achieve your career goals and how you would be a great fit and valuable addition to the class if selected.